5 Reasons Why You Need Emergency Dentistry
It is not every day that you need to visit a dental ER. If it ever comes to it, then it means you have a serious oral problem that cannot be taken lightly. Unfortunately, many patients solicit the help of dental experts when they have oral emergencies.
Thankfully, emergency dentistry exists for reasons such as these. It provides patients with a rare opportunity to safeguard their oral health, even in the most daunting situations.
What is Emergency Dentistry?
It is a specialty of dentistry that handles all the urgent and often severe dental problems. Emergency dentists in Spring TX focus on offering speedy treatments to patients, to curb their oral needs with utmost urgency.
Flagging your oral problems as a dental emergency is not as obvious as it seems. Sometimes, a small oral problem can manifest with serious symptoms, requiring emergency dental care. Besides, most of the dental emergencies treated are usually small oral problems that escalated after being left untreated.
When Do You Need Emergency Dentistry?
Not everyone should rush to book emergency dental appointments the minutes they have an oral problem. Sometimes all you need is to brush your teeth properly and get a goodnight’s sleep. However, if you have any of the following symptoms, then you may need emergency treatment for your mouth:
- Bleeding – whether the bleeding is continuous and profuse or controllable, it should be alarming. Be especially keen when you are brushing your teeth and you notice traces of blood on your toothbrush.
- Knocked-out teeth – it is usually as a result of an accident or injury. Whether you lose on a tooth or several, get to your dentist as soon as possible.
- Excruciating pain – if your toothache is unbearable, there is no reason to hold it off any longer.
- Significant swelling – inflammation in your mouth can spread to other parts of your body. Any swelling you notice on your cheeks, neck, or other parts of your upper body should be reported with haste.
- Missing or broken oral appliances – this ranges from traditional braces and Invisalign® to dental fillings and dental crowns. If you damage or lose any oral appliance you have, consider it an oral emergency. This is especially the case for permanent oral appliances, as opposed to removable ones.
Top 5 Reasons You Need Emergency Dentistry
Even with an urgent dent problem in your hands, it may still be difficult for you to visit your dentist. Things are especially harder if you have had traumatic past experiences regarding dental care and treatments. If you are looking for reasons you consider emergency dentistry for your oral health, then consider the following:
- To alleviate pain – one of the defining traits of emergency dental problems is excruciating pain and discomfort. At such moments, your primary concern is to ease the pain and improve the state of your health. Emergency dentists prioritize urgent dental problems to ensure that patients feel more comfortable than they did walking in the dental ER.
- To slow progression – dental emergencies tend to progress rapidly from the minute they occur. This means that the more time you spend untreated, the higher the chances of incurring significant damage all over your oral cavity.
- To save teeth – knocked out teeth can be saved and restored in your mouth, if you have time in your favor. The first thing is to find the lost tooth and preserve it. Afterward, you need speedy attention from a dentist, to ensure that the tooth is still viable for restoration.
- Treating infections – if an infection gets to a point of being an oral emergency, then it has gone on for too long. The emergency dentist attending to you will have the primary focus of treating the root cause of the infection.
- Preserving your health – both your oral health and overall body health are at risk when you have an emergency at hand. A problem like bleeding or swelling can escalate so quickly, causing other health problems. For that reason, dental experts in emerge y dentistry help preserve both your oral and body health by offering speedy and effective treatments to dental emergencies.